University Blvd. Residential Structure Fire

A charging lithium-ion battery caused a fire in Centennial this morning. Just before 8 a.m. on Friday, June 2, 2023, several 911 callers reported smoke billowing from a home in the 6300 block of S. University Blvd. Arapahoe County Sheriff Deputies were first to arrive and observe flames coming from the second floor. Members from first arriving Engine 37 arrived and deployed a hose line for fire control and primary search. The second floor was filled with black smoke, so vertical ventilation was conducted. Members from Tower 32 used a chainsaw to open the roof which allowed super-heated gasses and smoke to vent upward. Engine 37 quickly extinguished the fire which consumed a portion of the second floor and attic space. All searches of the structure were clear and thankfully no injuries occurred. The SMFR Fire Marshal’s Office determined that a lithium-ion flashlight battery was being charged and caused the fire. The Hazardous Materials Team responded out of an abundance of caution and confirmed there was no additional threat of thermal runway or other batteries that required mitigation.

Incident Photos